Dear Diary...

A diary can be more than just a book to write in. It can be a friend and a confidant. It can also be a person to discuss things with. I've often debated different questions with my diary before coming to a decision. But what if my diary were to give me an answer...?

Dear Diary,

Can you remember Jayne? Well, it was a long time ago so I can't blame you if you don't. But surely you remember that exchange trip to Germany. I consecrated a whole volume to you on that trip. Three weeks we were there and I wrote several times a day. Ah, I see from your blush, you do remember. And no wonder you blush. That was quite an eventful trip. I'll never forget how I managed to get off that boat. Three young men, first time away from home. I may have been the smallest but I had my passport to prove to the duty-free man that I was 17. A whole bottle of whisky and it almost all ended up inside me. At least, that experience cured me from drinking the stuff for a lifetime.

Of course, when I say three young men I should have added... and eleven young girls for the picking. That's where I met Jayne. It was far from a case of love (or should I say emphatuation) at first sight. Maybe, it really was love?

Jayne wasn't one to get herself noticed. Indeed, if we hadn't ended up in the same car on our way to that football match, we might never have even met properly. Quite small she was, impish like. And that's what her some of her friends called her. But she didn't like that. As we were the only English speakers in the car, we talked together all the way there and all the way back. In fact, I was supposed to return in one of the other cars, but I deliberately got lost, just so I could go back with Jayne. I wouldn't admit to myself, of course, but I must have been smitten with her already. And by the end of the trip, the others knew what we still didn't.

So we went our separate ways. We lived some 20 miles from each other so there was little chance of our seeing each other before the Germans' return trip some three months later. I did go Wenham once during those three months. I attended a careers conference at the local college of education and even posted myself outside her school one day in the hope of seeing leave. But it was not to be. Little did I know then that the train ran right by her house affording a magnificent view into her garden.

Well, when the Germans came over to visit us, we got together again. And this time, it was plain for all to see. I remember the first time she invited me to join her family for that trip to the Longleat Safari Park. I was so high, I hardly slept a wink all night. But of course, you know all that. It's been laid down for posterity in your precious pages.

Anyway, enough of that you know it all already. What I wanted to say was that I met Jayne again yesterday. No, she's not here in France. I met her on the internet. I logged on to one of those find your old schoolfriends sites. I recognised her the moment I saw her. And I'd love tog get in touch with her again. Should I or shouldn't I? Would she be pleased or annoyed? Maybe she's married, or maybe she's just as lonely as I am? I just don't know what to do. I know diaries do not normally give advice to their writers, but couldn't you make an exception just this once? I'm going to bed now and with any luck I'll have your answer when I wake up in the morning.

J.H.

"Dear Diary..." is this week's Sunday Scribblers prompt. (Avid diary readers can find more here.)

30 comments:

I think you should go for it. Really, what's the worst that could happen? If she didn't want to be found by old friends she wouldn't have posted her information there.

Good luck.

17 August 2007 at 21:32  

what a beautiful story and romantic intention, I love it...

17 August 2007 at 22:13  

Dear Paul -- Ah, young love. Gives one "goosebumps" doesn't it? (Sorry, couldn't resist :D) So, don't think about it so hard and contact her!! If nothing comes of it, you will still have a good story with a period at the end of it instead of a question mark.

Sincerely,

Your Diary

17 August 2007 at 22:37  

I almost wrote about an encounter I had in europe as well, though I touched on it in a previous sunday scribbling last winter. I called it my kookaburra crush.

I did seek him out....after 20 or so years of no contact, the same week that I wrote my post...and it was wonderful to learn about his life and to catch up a wee bit.

Those moments in our past are magical arent' they?

great post.

18 August 2007 at 02:27  

What a great and romantic article. The feelings is there and can be strongly felt by any reader. You should make sure that you get in touch with her. You don't want to write in your diary someday "What if?". Cease the day, as they say. =)

18 August 2007 at 02:33  

Yep, diary is a friend to me.

18 August 2007 at 06:24  

paul... i must admit i snuck in a peek this morning when i as reading the fiction friday entries... this was so exceptional... i really loved it... and i was thrilled to come back tonight and read it again....

and as far as i am concerned... you should.....

18 August 2007 at 06:51  

Paul, ask for the date lah! (that's singlish, singapore english). You may consider claiming that you're passing by her home and would like to have a date:=)) Tell us the outcome!

18 August 2007 at 08:22  

do it!

18 August 2007 at 13:09  

I truly beieve if you have a good thought about someone - you have to share it with that person. It's always worth it.

18 August 2007 at 16:48  

Fine and enticing post! Most definitely reach out to her Paul -- just do so with no agenda or expectations... that way the result cannot disappoint.

18 August 2007 at 17:08  

Go for it. (Don't you just love advice from complete strangers?)

GREAT entry, I really enjoyed reading it.

18 August 2007 at 19:09  

If you don't go for it, you won't know.


Don't think, do it!

18 August 2007 at 19:32  

Wonderful entry Paul but JH is not you is it? I would think looking up people that are still in our fondest memories deserve a hello. ;)

19 August 2007 at 00:23  

Paul, you absolutely must go for it! If you don't you'll always wonder. I loved your diary entry...very sweet and romantic.

19 August 2007 at 03:43  

Looks like there are many of us masking as your diary today. Here's another one: initiate contact. What harm could come of that?

19 August 2007 at 04:59  

Hi everyone,

I guess it's time to come clean now. This piece was semi-fiction. Jayne does exist and yes we did get to know each other on that not to be forgotten school trip. But I have no idea where she is now. If I could, I wouldn't mind getting in touch with her, just to catch up but with no romantic notions attached. I am happily married and not looking for anything else. This was just a writing exercise for me. Thanks for the appreciative comments anyway.

19 August 2007 at 06:13  

shows what a wonderfully written story it was if we (me included) was taken in ... but my *advice* would have been to 'go for it' too !!!

thanks for dropping by my scribble

19 August 2007 at 08:09  

The power of the pen to help us decide. I believe that often we've made our decision before we even ask the "other" for advice.

Trust your instincts. They're sure to be right for you. At this time. In this moment.

19 August 2007 at 14:34  

For God's sakes - go for it, there is no harm in saying "hi". Who knows where it coudl lead. I am excited for you.

19 August 2007 at 17:55  

of course, you have to say hello.

19 August 2007 at 18:08  

what a nostalgic, promising post of warm memories...may you find her again one day...

20 August 2007 at 00:11  

This was great! Even if semi-fictional, it was gripping and had me wanting to hear what happened after you did contact her! Great story.

20 August 2007 at 00:58  

Dear JH,
Contact her!
Love,
your Diary

20 August 2007 at 07:54  

I hope by now you've done it ... let's hope next weeks prompt enable's you to provide us with an update!

20 August 2007 at 13:37  

its very cute. thanks too share.....

10 January 2018 at 11:53  

Great post and thanks for sharing....

11 January 2018 at 11:21  

I love that idea. Awesome Post..

15 January 2018 at 10:19  

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!

31 May 2018 at 10:33  

That is great to hear, thank you for reading!

7 July 2018 at 08:10  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds