Sinking feelings may not be the most pleasurable, so beware if you click here that this is what this week's Sunday Scribblings is all about.

Jamie stared at the prompt on the screen in front of him. "I get that sinking feeling..." What on earth was he to write. As an aspiring, but no longer so young writer, he was trying a number of different ways to crash himself into the writer's world, including a number of blog writing events which kept him on his toes, and his fingers on the keyboard. It's true, he thought, I get that sinking feeling every time I see one of these prompts and wonder what on earth I'm going to do with it. Sometimes, the feeling lasts just a few seconds, as inspiration comes and off he sets as reality cedes to imagination and new realities are born. But inspiration doesn't always come that easily, the size of his paper basket, being a witness to this fact. Sometimes, a lot of staring at paper is involved; at others, the ideas come relatively easily, but putting them into words provokes a lot of sweat. Indeed, he'd been staring at his screen now for some 5 minutes and was slowly but surely drifting off into the land where the unconscious takes hold of the mind; this time transporting him to the giddy heights of fame and fortune. He awoke with a start and the moment he saw the words in front of him he knew he'd found the title for his autobiography... if ever it would get written.

14 comments:

You perfectly described that dilemma faced by a writer.

A few prompts have made me feel just that way.

25 August 2007 at 16:05  

Jamie's not alone, it's a writer's occupational hazard - trust me ...LOL!

25 August 2007 at 16:05  

a title full of mystery and intrigue too... i like it.. if it ever gets written.....

25 August 2007 at 16:35  

I often find the SS prompts leave me with that sinking feeling these days! Excellent post, expresses very well the dilemma every blogger and writer faces from time to time!

25 August 2007 at 22:26  

That is such an awful feeling...to be waiting for the words to come, and...nothing. I can relate to this so completely!

25 August 2007 at 22:28  

My SS post this week is short. A few sentences after I started it, I got that sinking feeling that it's going to be a short one... and it was

Your post says a lot about a writer's experience.

26 August 2007 at 03:51  

". . . if it ever gets written . . ."

Therein lies the rub, as they say.

Wonderful.

26 August 2007 at 04:54  

Well said!

26 August 2007 at 14:48  

nice take - yeah, that autobiography....A friend told me once that it is our duty to write. That if we have a message to share it will reach the right person/people.

I can sooo relate to blank stares. If only I could capture on paper what my brain is so busy processing during those times.....

Nice post!

26 August 2007 at 14:54  

Excellent post! Therein lies the truth of a writer's work... how acute an observation that is.

Wonderful. Truly wonderful

26 August 2007 at 23:26  

Great take on the prompt! You really brought it home...

27 August 2007 at 02:25  

Aren't we all writing our autobiographies nowadays? Or am I just living mine? Thoroughly enjoyable post.

27 August 2007 at 04:56  

Yep, we all paused at the blank screen or page and sometimes nothing comes out. It's always an emotional rollarcoaster ride when it comes to writing.

I can completely relate to this.

27 August 2007 at 17:42  

nice writing. i bet he can get that book written if he stays awake ;-)

5 September 2007 at 19:57  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds