A New Day

It wasn't the concept of New Year that Pablo didn't like, but more the crazy idea that you had to stay up until what Janet called the earlier hours to bring it in. Early hours indeed. The moment the true early hours came on, then everyone crawled away into bed. Pablo loved those magical moments. Rarely a day passed on which he didn't see the sun rise. He loved the stillness of the day down by the river, being slowly broken as nature around him came to life. First, the birds with their gentle morning songs, then the first streaks of light bringing the world around him into view as if for the very first time. Behind him, the rustling in the bushes was a witness to the fact that the fauna too was slowly waking to something new. Pablo would not miss this for the world. He would stay there quietly on his little bench until the flowers would start to raise their heads straining to see what was going on. No, it wasn't the New Year that fascinated Pablo, but the regular miracle of a new day.

11 comments:

'The regular miracle of a new day', great line! And a lovely post! Happy New Year!

4 January 2008 at 13:26  

This was very well written. I love the early mornings myself because it's like no one on earth knows you're alive but yourself. In a way it's like you're free because you're just yourself and there are no people awake you see you one way or another.

4 January 2008 at 20:09  

Your blog is so beautiful and I think you're one of the few people that turn the scribblings into a story.
I feel the same as Paul about the sunrise. It's the most magical moment of the day and it always enchants me, even though I rarely see it.

5 January 2008 at 00:14  

how simply beautiful! We should all treasure the dawn of each new day!

5 January 2008 at 02:16  

Pablo makes me feel relaxed.

5 January 2008 at 05:39  

Oh, I especially loved the ending. Great story. Very well written.

5 January 2008 at 06:21  

I agree. Each day is a new day.

5 January 2008 at 14:43  

This is a very lovely piece of writing, and a refreshing take on the theme.
This is my very first submission for Sunday Scribblings
http://wannabeawritersomeday.blogspot.com/2008/01/sunday-scribbles-edition-1.html

5 January 2008 at 20:09  

If I could express myself in the way you have here, I'd be a very happy person. Wonderful, colourful, full of emotion.

I have just posted my first piece here and I've quickly come to realise that the standard here is very high indeed!

5 January 2008 at 22:24  

This was great, I felt like I was standing right next to Pablo through out experiencing the magic moment at the same time.

6 January 2008 at 19:18  

you have described precisely the early morning hours...just as the dawn begins to wake..the birds song, the movement...great stuff!

8 January 2008 at 00:23  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds