Another World

Clara,

I don't know if you're actually going to get this letter. A parting was so swift and so brusque that I've a lot I still need to say to you. But who's to say that that parting was for ever. I hope and pray every night, that you will one day be able to join me here. I'm not really sure what happened. One minute I was fighting with all might against a worm I was hoping to bring you home for dinner and the next minute I was flying through the air. And wow, was that special! I've never experienced anything like it yet, and I'm sure I'll never quite experience such excitement again. It was fantastic. And just as I'd reached the highest point, I started to get this really strange sinking feeling; like I was going to plummet right back down, not back into the waters beside you but into the deepest depths of despair. And just as I was about to overwhelmed a friendly hand reached out and snatched me up.

Well, it took me a while to come to, but once I did, well it was all so incredible. It was like a completely different world. There are very strange creatures here. They come in all shapes and sizes but they are really very good to me. The creature that gave me a helping hand - they call him boy here - is really very kind. He knew I couldn't stay out in the dry for long so he put me straight into some nice, cool, soothing water. True, there's not that much room to move but he's promised me lots more space when we get home. In addition, it's really very strange water here. You can actually see right through it. I don't mean like we can see through our water and look at the plants etc. all around us. From here we can see things even more magnificent and wonderful than ever we could before. I do so wish you could join me here.

The boy says he's going to take me home and put me in his garden. He'll give me lots of food and after a few days I'll be invited to his birthday party. His house must be cold because he's told me all about the nice hot oven they will prepare especially for me. You see, how wonderfully kind he is. He's making sure I feel really at home. I'm wondering whether he'll bring me back to you after the birthday party. But to be quite honest... well I just wish you could join me here. It's all so amazing and so beautiful. Remember that old couple we met last year just before the holipond leap-year? They amazed us with their wisdom and puzzled us with their parting remarks:

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after a year."

We had no idea what they meant at the time. Well, I understand completely now that I'm here. My scales have been opened and my fins are all on edge. Yet, it's so amazing, I just can't describe it all. If you do come, bring Versify our champion fish poet with you. I'm sure he'll find the words needed to build a thousand and one pictures of this amazing new world.

I love you very much and do so hope to see you soon.

Your baited lover,

Rod

5 comments:

Thank goodness for some light and love! Brought a laugh to my lips and a twinkle to my eyes...

22 February 2008 at 12:59  

Ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to fish and hot ovens I suppose. Well done!

22 February 2008 at 15:31  

This was a joy to read - a smile playing the whole time on my lips. Perhaps fish do not have three second attention spans after all - especially if there are aptly named fish poets among them. My all time favourite bit was the fish's name - Rod! What an absolute classic. Thank you so much for this...

23 February 2008 at 04:36  

A good variation on the prompt. I liked it - a twist in the fishy tale.

23 February 2008 at 11:12  

Very clever - I really enjoyed this - all the way until the end - your baited friend.

26 February 2008 at 23:08  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds