Inspiration From Below

"You heard him say that?"
The surprise in his voice echoed around the forest.

"Yes, no doubt about it. I heard it with my own two trusty ears."
And in this case my trusty ears did indeed report exactly what had been said. No need for any inventiveness on their part.

"And you're sure that he really means to... to do that?"
Now I've always hated questions like this, more so since I knew full well that he didn't intend to... Interpretations are always fallible. And mine might be as good as the next one's. I much prefer to stick to facts. They're far easier to manipulate.

"Well, I can't read inside his head. But when I heard him say those words and saw him go off towards the inn, well what else could I think?"
Still room for doubt there. Better change the subject quickly. But before I do, Richard beats me to it.

"You know, if it's true, he'll lose his place. And you're probably the favourite to take it."
Oh, the simple beauty of my plan; more than enough to put to sleep the definite suspicion in his voice.

"Ah, that's where my bad luck comes in. I went to see the Duke yesterday to ask for three weeks leave. There've been a lot of problems at home that require my urgent attention. Of course, the Duke wasn't pleased. He had hoped to have all his counsellors present at the next meeting. But he gave his consent gracefully. He'll be even less happy now."
In truth, a few weeks away could but help my claim. No one in the Duke's council proved a serious threat to him. Once the Duke realised that, he would send for him at once. And subservient as he was, he would come running with little thought of ambition, his one desire being to be of service to the Duke.

"So, are you going to tell the Duke."
The trap springs shut.

"What me! I'm not going to any such thing. After all he's been my best friend ever since arriving here. And my friend, make sure you don't tell anyone. I don't want the whole town finding out and bringing the matter to the Duke all because you can't keep your mouth shut."
There, the seeds of the act are sewn. deed. Why get my hands dirty when I have someone on standby to do the job for me.


Sitting some three metres above them and listening to every word that was being said, William found it hard to contain his excitement. At last he had what he was looking for. He'd come to the here in search of inspiration. He'd climbed into up into the tree when he saw the two young men making their way up the path. And his reward had been great. The perfect storyline. Surely it would take but a few weeks to rework it into a play. Iago and Othello: a play about love and friendship... and how they turn sour.

3 comments:

Nicely done, the conversation is natural and well done.

15 August 2008 at 16:00  

you can learn a lot sitting in a tree. . . I think this was the ultimate in stolen conversations.

21 August 2008 at 02:43  

Amazing, you've run the vodoo down. This is such a great blog

15 September 2008 at 22:04  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds