Make Me The Greatest

Sitting in the shade of the trees outside the pub Anon Penship waved his finger once again at Lucy.

"I tell you I'm the greatest scribbler of all time. There can be no doubt about it. I'm appreciated like no other scribbler ever has been. Just look at the comments I get. People are queing up just to be able to access my website."

Lucy looked at her longtime friend and smiled. She'd known Anon for a long, long time. She wasn't surprised at this clearly exagerated statement. That's just the way he was, it was part of his makeup. Who was she to undeceive him.

Anon saw the faint smile and immediately went back on the defensive.

"You don't believe me, Lucy. You never do."

"It's not that I don't believe you. With you things change so often. All those many years ago when we met at school, you were the greatest rugby player the school had ever seen. You even convinced the sports' teacher. But your one try that season did somewhat belie your reputation, even if, as you keep reminding me, it was the greatest ever in the history of the school."

I looked at her stone-faced and reflected on whether I'd ever invite her out for a drink again.

"After that, it was woodwork, then speaking French and all because that smart-looking assistant said you had such a cute accent. And the list goes on. And right now, you're the greatest scribbler the world has ever seen with hundreds of publications to your name. So what!"

"You mean to say I'm good for nothing." Anon was close to tears.

"Of course, not. There are hundreds of things you do really well. You're just not necessarily the very, very best." She could see Anon smiling between the tears. "Besides," she continued, leaning forward and taking his hand, "there are two things where you really are the best."

At those words the sun broke out on the troubled face opposite her.

"Well, you really think so?"

"Yes, of course! Without a shadow of a doubt, you're the greatest bragger I've ever met."

Anon contemplated this in silence for a long time. He was unsure whether it was all that much of a compliment.

"You did say two things," he muttered shyly.

Lucy's eyes started to dance as she saw him hanging on his very words. Slowly and deliberately she replied, "You are the most generous person I know, especially when it comes to buying your friends
a drink"

Now who could resist a compliment like that?

________________________________

Dear Reader, do you want to show Lucy that I really the greatest scribbler of all time. If so, just leave a comment on this scribble. We'll be going out for a drink Tuesday evening and if I can show her a few thousand comments by then, maybe she'll be convinced. Here's to hoping.

9 comments:

This was a marvelous read -- very engaging... ;)

Here's one comment you can show Lucy!

25 October 2008 at 11:17  

Rather a roundabout way of getting someone to buy a drink! Are you Anon?

25 October 2008 at 12:52  

Clever approach to the prompt!

25 October 2008 at 20:03  

Brag on. You deserve it. BJ

25 October 2008 at 20:41  

Clever stuff! I hope for your sake it works.

26 October 2008 at 01:13  

Subtle, and an enjoyable read.

26 October 2008 at 02:29  

So funny. But I, of course, am the true Anon.

Patois

26 October 2008 at 22:52  

Ah, dear Anon(ymous) is most likely the greatest Scribbler of all time!

3 November 2008 at 06:19  

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your writersnoteobook.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend George

21 December 2012 at 02:34  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds