Speaking The Unspeakable

Unsent letters. The idea intrigued me. At the same time a certain dread cast its shadow over my mind. An unsent letter: the perfect way to express my feelings; to say what I really felt about her without having to expose myself. Yet, it could be risky. After all, I was still married; in public we were even still together, even if the truth belied any such interpretation of the word together. How on earth could I be expected to trace the trajectory of such forbidden feelings for another. What if she should find out? What if such feelings were reciprocated? But there was something liberating in that word unsent. Knowing Janice would never read it, knowing no one would ever read it gave me courage, despite the nervous start I made. Once I got going, it flowed. Every little seed of affection that ever flourished in my heart oozed out of my pen and embellished the paper I would ever hide away in the deepest confines of my heart shaped desk. Never had I expressed myself so freely, so beautifully; never had such truth been forced to hide its face from the light of day.

And yet, it cost - such frankness: 10 lines - 3 hours and totally debilitated. I had to get out, away, anywhere, anything... just not think any more. A walk, but even that cost. Simone wanted to walk with me, didn't understand I wanted to be alone. But then how could she? At her age, impossible to understand what was going on between her mother and myself. I put an end to the bickering by walking out. Then my luck changed.

Janet, Dorian, Philip... The three of them together enjoying some afternoon refreshment. I needed something stronger. The wine flowed, my mood cheered. Gone, the lethargy, the doubts, all thoughts of what if... I went back home and spoke the unspeakable. The letter was sent. And now...

10 comments:

Paul, welcome back. Interesting post. I like the layers you've created, the commentary feel to this.

13 May 2009 at 14:19  

Yeah, and ... I want to know the rest. Pleeeze!

I immensely enjoyed that!

13 May 2009 at 14:21  

writing (i do morning pages) lets emotions flow, even the ones you didn't know were lurking.

13 May 2009 at 16:40  

very good emotions expressed, thrill, hope, guilt, regret. All is well until the realization of what has been done can't be undone.

13 May 2009 at 17:59  

Well, I don't like that he is in love with someone besides his wife, but it was nicely written.

13 May 2009 at 20:18  

u leave me speechless all time !!

13 May 2009 at 21:02  

a very fun read! his conversational tone was very effective. lots said in few words! -Meg

14 May 2009 at 18:48  

hey, the story continues in another altogether different vein of format... love it... the mystery of love in the freedom of a written letter of unspoken feelings... can't wait...

14 May 2009 at 22:34  

sent yes... signed?? good write..

14 May 2009 at 23:47  

Good one. I often think that a hinting at a resolution makes for a stronger short story than hitting the reader over the head with it.

Then again, one of my favorite movies is John Sayles Limbo, which turned a lot of folks off with its ending.

18 May 2009 at 22:05  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds