Pardon Me!

Morning

"Hi Jean, it's lovely to see you."

"It's great to see you too. And you're looking so well."

"You too. How long has it been?"

"Oh, it must be over a year now. You just sit down and I'll get you a nice cup of coffee."

"Oh please, I'd much rather have something cold."

"Squash?"

"No, I'd prefer something to drink please."

"Water then?"

"Yes, I suppose. I mean water'll be fine, I guess."

...

Evening

"Hi darling, how's your day been."

"Run off my feet. I've hardly sat down all day. We were run off our feet at the shop and when we finally did get some peace, I had to go to the travel agent's and get some brochures for the cruise we're thinking of doing. Then, when I got home Jean called round. I met her on my way back from town She was just in Aber for the day so I insisted she drop by for a little chatter. Didn't say much though. To be honest, she was a bit strange. It's only now that I've had a chance to look at these brochures. And I'm really excited about them. There are some fantastic destinations."

"Are you sure, we can afford one?"

"What do you mean? And take that funny grin off your face. Of course, we can afford one. We've been through this a thousand times. And don't forget it was your idea in the first place."

"I'm sorry love, it's just I got a rather strange phone call from Ron. He wanted to know how he could help us in our difficulties."

"Our difficulties?"

"Yes! Jean rang him up the moment she'd got home after your visit together. She had some coak and bull story about you're being... shall we say, less than the perfect hostess. Apparently, all you offered her was water."

"But that's crazy I offered some of the home-made raspberry squash I made last week. But she didn't want any."

"Well, she's saying you only offered her some sort of vegetarian snack and when she insited on a drink, you gave her nothing but water. She feels pretty insulted and told Ron, she never wants to come here again. He took the matter in a completely different light. He thought we must be in dire straits. He phoned up to offer his help."

"But what on earth gave him that idea?"

"Well, he knew you weren't usually miserly. And was sure, you hadn't intended to insult Jean. So he figured vegetarian snacks and water could only mean we were little short of financial ruin."

"But... I mean... Well, what could have given them that impression?"

4 comments:

What indeed? This linguistic misunderstanding actually caused some mirth in a letter I wrote to a group of mainly Americans. I wonder on what side the Aussies among us will come down upon?

9 July 2009 at 17:55  

That was nice. I love water...I would pick that over anything else to drink anyway :)
Nice job, I liked it.

Mine:
http://uncleteebooks.blogspot.com/2009/07/fiction-friday-july10-2009.html

10 July 2009 at 17:55  

Very funny misunderstanding. It wasn't until the end when I discerned squash was indeed a type of drink. We silly Americans.

10 July 2009 at 19:58  

Well, I was offered water in similar circumstances recently when a whisky would have done much better!

Good story and if Ron really is in a position to help out financially...my email is... LOL

Mine for this week is here:

http://almckillop.wordpress.com/

10 July 2009 at 21:57  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds