Resurgent

"Hi! It's only me. Karl is back in work today, so there's no rush."

No answer. Going into the kitchen I called out again. Not only no answer. There was no dinner on the stove. Another shout, anxiety rising in my voice. Where was Katja?

I found her propped up against the wall in the passage next to the letterbox. She didn't move. Indeed, she showed no reaction whatsoever, not even when I bent down and whispered my name into her ear. I sat down opposite her. The glare in her eyes was indecipherable, yet it told a story. It was almost as if I was sitting there watching a soundless film about which I knew nothing being played out before me.

It was only now, I saw the envelope she was clutching in her hands. I tried to pull it from her to no avail. I bent forward to see if I could make out what was written on the envelope.

"It's Bolek." The sound of her voice caught me off guard. The lustre in her eyes was fading; the film was drawing to its close.

She had only once mentioned Bolek. It was the evening I'd moved in. We'd been looking at old photos together and she'd pointed him out to me. He was Polish and they must have been very close. The threat of war had driven their families apart. Now peace had returned. So had Bolek.

11 comments:

Such a loaded moment! The fickle finger of fate has a habit of flicking a return volley! Beautiful, tense piece!

2 September 2009 at 13:44  

Wonsderful.
Coming back is not always yearned for.
A wonderful pice Paul.

I am sorry my baby
~Harsha

2 September 2009 at 14:29  

The tension in this piece is wonderful.

2 September 2009 at 15:38  

Oooh... I want to know more. Talk about grabbing your reader! Don't let go, please...just tell me more...

2 September 2009 at 18:38  

That is really a great piece!

2 September 2009 at 18:41  

oooh i like the tension !!
i wanna know more!!

The Glare of Threat

2 September 2009 at 20:08  

70 years on - brings back memories of my Dad.

3 September 2009 at 04:45  

The suspense is killing me...I'm so curious to know more! Wonderful read.

3 September 2009 at 14:29  

This hums with an intense energy. Nice!

4 September 2009 at 11:48  

Given your introduction, the twist surprised me. Well written, full of impending dread.

5 September 2009 at 02:36  

Oh wow...so very good. I really like this.

http://radio-nowhere.org/nb/?p=196

7 September 2009 at 18:16  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds