Nightmare

This week's words are: Beacon, Grieve, Kindred

"Are you trying to tell me that we're flying in just 2 hours and your passport is no longer valid!"

"That's right. It expired 4 months ago. But I'm sure the guy checking won't notice."

A beacon started flashing furiously in my mind, a warning things were reaching breaking point. I tried taking long, deep breaths in a bid to stay calm. This was the kind of thing you expected from young kids when you took them on a trip, but not from a 48 year old man.

"And you're identity card...?"

"Oh, that's fine. I got it renewed just before Christmas."

This time I really did start to relax.

"But it won't help much. I left it at home."

Now my breathing began to go haywire. I tried repeating various injunctions about it not being his fault and it might happen to anyone, all the time trying to force myself to stay calm. But that didn't work either. It seemed I began to shout, attracting the attention of an airport security guard.

"Can I be of any help. Sir, are you alright. Sir..., Sir...!"

A multitude of images kaleidoscoped their way around my mind. People urging me to calm down, to keep quiet. Someone said, "Come this way, hurry or you'll all miss the plane; never mind we'll look after him."

I woke four hours later. I was feeling a lot better. A nurse came by and smiled; a kindred spirit if ever I saw one. "So you've woken up. Good to see you've calmed down a bit. That was quite a scare you gave us, this morning."

"This morning? What time is it," I replied trying to get out of bed.

"Now just you get back into bed or I'll have to call the ward heavies. We can't have you gallivanting about after what you've been through. Besides, your friends will not be returning until Sunday."

"Sunday? You mean they've all left."

"Yes. But they only just made it. Your little fit almost made them lose the plane. In the end they were hurried through and didn't even pass security."

Now, I really did relax. What was there to grieve over? Everything was fine and I could look forward to five days of pampering by my very pretty new nurse friend. Good job I wasn't aware that my friends had all just been arrested by the UK police for trying to smuggle one of the group into the country.

12 comments:

Cool twist, I can feel the relief!

27 January 2010 at 12:39  

Very interesting twist.

27 January 2010 at 16:21  

Giggling and wondering what comes next!

27 January 2010 at 17:56  

This was humorous and entertaining, wonderful way to end the piece. Loved it!

27 January 2010 at 19:45  

Interesting! Can't wait to read more.

28 January 2010 at 03:26  

Hope he enjoyed the rest and was ready for the information when he got it.

28 January 2010 at 05:22  

I loved the interplay of the characters early on, especially the line about the identity card "But it won't help much. I left it at home." Made me laugh, and as the others have said, a great finish!!

28 January 2010 at 06:29  

Alright. You just have to finish this story. I feel like I've just been left out in the dark...

http://gildorianne.blogspot.com/2010/01/three-word-wednesday-haiku.html

28 January 2010 at 15:26  

whew - sounds like he did good ending up in the hospital :)

28 January 2010 at 23:47  

What a wild twist!

29 January 2010 at 01:26  

This was great and left me laughing.

Attendance Optional

29 January 2010 at 02:51  

Seems like he was the lucky one! ;-) Thanks for sharing!

29 January 2010 at 04:21  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds