Bedd Gellert

The book that changed everything is this week's Sunday Scribblings challenge. This may be slightly enigmatic, especially to those unfamiliar to Welsh culture. It's a tribute to those books that set me off on reading, and to one hidden jewel locked inside the multitude of its volumes.

Thick and blue;
In how many volumes?
Memory playing tricks
Never lets me forget
The treasures stored
In Grandmother's bookshelf.

And what's in a name.
The spell is what counts.
A magnetic spell,
Drawing in six year olds,
Captivating sevens,
While never letting off the hook
Those turned even older.

One above all,
My eager eyes caressed,
A lover sought out
Among the crowd
Till hunger satisfied.

A poem, a dog, a death,
In lilting Welsh verse
Despite English words
Bedd Gellert's acts distorted
But himself never disloyal.

For years neglected.
The tricks that age has played.
Forgotten and languishing,
Till one fateful day,
When father and son,
With mother and daughter,
Leaving Snowdon upon
The immortalised village chancèd,
And memory did the rest.

All four the road
to Grandma's bookshelf sought.
That spell now guiding
New strangers to its light.

8 comments:

It all sounds very intriguing....and very Welsh!

14 March 2010 at 08:29  

Great post - Is thre not a place in Wales with the same name?

14 March 2010 at 10:37  

Enjoyed this considerably Paul – thank you for sharing…
…rob
Image & Verse

14 March 2010 at 17:50  

What book? I own an old one called Rab and his friends?

14 March 2010 at 20:55  

This was a wonderful post! I am intrigued as well.

15 March 2010 at 02:45  

I love story of Bedd Gellert. The sadness of it really hurts.

Thanks Paul for taking me back a few years to remind me that loyal dog's bravery.

15 March 2010 at 05:02  

I loved this poem...I was reminded of how my husband and I would drive down a strange highway where I would see a place from a book I had read. That was how I found Herman Melville's church...was that in New Bedford!

Thank you.

b

15 March 2010 at 06:00  

I went searching for a book of celtic fairy tales and now have it on my amazon wishlist for later :)

16 March 2010 at 19:03  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds