Au Revoir J-M

Some seven years ago an impertinent Brit took it upon himself to join a writing group in the small French town he had just moved to. His hope was to get to know new people, to enjoy doing something he'd always been tempted by but never seriously put his hand to, and perhaps even improve his French a little bit.

That was my first encounter with J-M. The first evening did not begin promisingly. Every participant had to write a word on a pebble and pass it on to someone else. I can't remember what I wrote but I cannot forget the word I received. I had no idea what it meant and J-M was adamant. I was not allowed to ask. So I wrote an acrostic using the word and trying to describe my feelings.

Last night after seven years writing together, we said good-bye to J-M. He's moving on to fresher pastures, or should that read trees, after all he is a forester. So my 3WW post this week is a tribute not only to a fantastic writer but also a true friend. And because he loves haikus...

What did you imply
With that prompt, we ask, but you
Just shrug your shoulders

Up to us to tell
Your virtue, not to impose;
Leave us free to create

To find our own voice
Not feigning what we cannot
imitate or bluff

5 comments:

good stuff. Sorry that you're friend is leaving. But you'll always be friends, and that's what counts.

23 June 2010 at 18:42  

Great tribute and lovingly done as well.

23 June 2010 at 19:22  

the other writers in my writers group really can raise the other's blood pressure- and I do it with three little words-"I don't understand..." i can identify with this because within the group we say whatever we feel and expect the other to have thick skin.
I'm sure you will always be friends too!

23 June 2010 at 21:46  

What a lovely tribute to a true friend.

23 June 2010 at 22:26  

Strange how lives weave in and out! Nice tribute to a friend.

24 June 2010 at 03:34  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds