Last night I dreamt...

Determined. That's how my parents knew me. From my early teens onwards I must have given them a pretty rough time. More than made up for my tepid big sister, who's still never kissed a boy or smoked a cigarette in all her 17 years.

But determination doesn't have to be destructive. I learnt that when I finally learnt that my parents weren't quite the bane I'd always taken them for. True, their ideas are somewhat archaic at times. My dad is still proud of the fact that he never made out with my mum before they were married. But sometimes what they say contains some slight modicum of sense. Actually, and I want to make it clear that I'm not admitting to this publicly, but if I put their advice on the scale of good or bad, it would very definitely lean to one side more than the other.

So, if determination does not have to be destructive, I'm issuing notice right now to all my teachers everywhere... you know who you were because of the acrid taste that rises up whenever you hear my name... I'm going to show you what I can do. Leave school with top marks, off to university and with my degree in the bag it's your jobs I'll be after.

6 comments:

That is some seriously well-written determination.

7 July 2010 at 18:03  

there you go :) all creative!

Scars

7 July 2010 at 18:15  

true determination is rewarded.

7 July 2010 at 18:26  

This one is chalk full of determination. Determined in the " I will show you" sense and determined in the "I cant say Mom and Dad are right sense". I hope you accomplish your detremination. It sounds as if you are off to a good start.

7 July 2010 at 19:37  

Almost every great achievement starts with "I'll show them!"

Nice one.

7 July 2010 at 20:21  

hmmm, dreamland and more... rebel with a cause...

11 July 2010 at 04:58  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds