Noah's Ark

As soon as I got home from work yesterday, I sat down to write something but my fingers yielded nothing more than a few disparate words despite my determined mumblings to myself that I would, for once, post on Wednesday. Visions of pyjamas and bed finally got the better of me, so you won't actually get to read this until Thursday. If you want to read what inspired me for this piece, you'll find it here.
__________________________________________________
"Sarah dear! Sarah."
"Eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuh! What is it?"
"Are you awake? It's almost eight o'oclock."
"What! I thought today was our day off. We were supposed to be catching up on all that beauty sleep we've been missing out on."
"It is, dear. But I just want you to do something for me. Will you please go to the window and look outside for me."
"What on earth are you talking about? Why don't you go yourself?"
"I've already been, and I daren't look again."
"What is all this nonsense. You're the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and you're afraid to look out of your bedroom window. This is ridiculous!"
"But Sarah, it's not so much what I might see, but what I might not see. You see, when I looked out a few minutes ago, I thought I saw..., well, ...Noah's ark. And if it's not there now, well, you know what that might mean. After all, I had suggested that a holiday in the English countryside right now, might not be such a good idea."
"Nonsense, Gordon. Foot and mouth disease does not effect humans. It's the pressure of work that's your problem. If you saw Noah's ark out there, then there must be a perfectly rational reason for it. After all a large part of our countryside was flooded last month. Maybe one of the local farmers wanted to protect his yields by building a floating barn. I'll go and look anyway."

"Well, if it's any assurance to you, you're not going mad. Noah's ark is out there, together with Mabel. You remember Mabel."
"You mean that dumb cow those crazy children were lobbying me to save."
"You may say that now. But last Friday you were quite impressed by them. Never seen such articulate and determined children, that's what you said. Even if it didn't make you change your mind. Now get your pyjamas on and get me that cup of tea you promised."
"But there's no milk left."
"No milk. What difference does that make? We've a cow in the front garden and all he can say is there's no milk."
"But we can't drink Mabel's milk. Think of what the press would say. It would cause a scandal. We could only do that if I pardoned her."
Smiling to herself Sarah wondered if it always took men so long to grasp what you were trying to get at.

9 comments:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Interesting piece you wrote. Very topical yet human.

Rose

xo

9 August 2007 at 13:12  

I agree.. interesting post -- so glad you visited my place too..


take care and happy Thursday!

9 August 2007 at 15:13  

I got such a kick out of this...I love your humor, and you really captured the comfortable ramblings between husband and wife. :~)

9 August 2007 at 15:23  

This made me smile. Smooth dialogue between uhm the Prime Minister and his wife I presume.

9 August 2007 at 18:17  

Very funny piece of writing. Thanks for the visit.

9 August 2007 at 19:56  

Good job. Interesting goings on in your part of the world.

9 August 2007 at 19:58  

Smiling to herself Sarah wondered if it always took men so long to grasp what you were trying to get at.

Loved the end! :-)

And I have to say, I almost always post on Thursday and I've been doing 3WW for close to 10 months: you get used to it ;-)

9 August 2007 at 20:15  

Wonder no more, Sarah. The answer is yes :)

I had no idea where you were going with this story, Paul, and I rather like it that way.

10 August 2007 at 00:21  

Hi Paul -- This was fun and creative and extremely clever!
:)

11 August 2007 at 08:08  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds