The Truth Or Not The Truth

Yesterday I heard a book review for a new novel set in a world where there were no lies. This inspired me to try something similar. I wonder which you would prefer.

Not quite the truth

"Well, what did you think of that?"
"Well, it wasn't too bad, was it?"
"I see Sidney was as vocal as ever."
"Yes! He likes to get his two pence in when he gets the chance."
"Maybe, it wouldn't be quite so bad if his mind wasn't quite so fallow."
"Yes, I see what you mean. Well, you can't have your cake and eat it, now can you."
"I guess we have to be thankful for small mercies. Down in storage there's a limit to the damage he can do."

The bitter truth

"Thank goodness that's over."
"My feelings exactly."
"I wish Sidney would learn to keep his mouth shut."
"Well, if you didn't hog the discussion all the time, maybe things would be a little better."
"What do you mean? I don't hog the discussion. Well, maybe I do at times. But what I say is worth hearing, not like Sidney. The man's just plain stupid."
"Yes, but it takes one to know one, you know. You can't be rich, powerful and intelligent."
"Are you trying to insinuate...? Well, maybe I am a little slow at times but I'll remind you that it was my idea to put Sidney down in storage. And he can't do much damage there, now can he?

5 comments:

No one really wants the truth, we have all sucumbed to the- "Be polite and watchful of others sensitivities" I myselff like truth from people but as a creative writer I am a full fledged liar!

7 October 2009 at 16:00  

Awesome before and after! The second conversation was a riot... much juicier and richer than the first.. of course I think the truth is exactly that way as well.

However, it's the variety, the contrast that really makes the truth shine...

Life, ain't it grand? :)

7 October 2009 at 18:33  

Hehe!! This was interesting! The conversations were a riot!! :)

Good contrast!

8 October 2009 at 06:45  

This was a very clever take...I enjoyed it!

8 October 2009 at 14:15  

Had you gone the other way round, I'd have taken it as "what was said" followed by "what they wish they'd said." But now that I think about it, the same could be true in the order you posted...

8 October 2009 at 16:47  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds