Unsuspecting

This week's words: abandon, gradual, precise

Finding that tie was the last thing I'd expected. But I was even less prepared for Linda's reaction when I got into work. Maybe it had nothing to do with the tie. Maybe she'd had it in for me anyway. The tie had just proved to be a convenient excuse, setting into motion a chain of events which I still have difficulty understanding.

To be quite honest I'd been rather chuffed at finding the tie - a birthday present from my first girlfriend. I'd worn it at my first interview and got the job. Putting it on that morning I felt its magic was bound to rub off. Maybe Linda would at last say yes to that dinner engagement I'd been pestering her over.

In fact, she didn't say a word. She just stood there staring. And when I asked her to type some letters I'd dictated, she fled the office in tears. She still wasn't back when the personnel director phoned about an hour later. In her precise, telegraphic style she informed me Linda no longer wanted to work for me. She was being transferred to customer service. Now it was my turn to blow my top. That earned me a call from the managing director. If I couldn't learn to control my temper, then I could look for a new job elsewhere. I agreed and thanked him for handing me back my freedom, before I realised what I'd done.

I was out of the office before lunch. The personnel director wished me luck in finding a new place; probably suspected I'd come crawling back if I didn't. I shot over to the other side of town before deciding on anything to eat. Couldn't face the prospect of all those questions my now former colleagues just couldn't wait to ask.

So what happened, I hear you ask. I'm asking the very same question, staring into the bottom of my glass for the answer. I hope it comes soon, before I'm tempted to fill up again. I see Julie's reflection in there. The lopsided smile she had whenever she was pleased... like that day she gave me the tie; her eyes, round and black, always looking as if she couldn't quite trust me. And I'd proved her right. Only a coward would have abandoned her the way I did.

As I watched a gradual feeling of familiarity crept over me. I couldn't put a finger on it but it was almost as if I'd seen her somewhere recently. That, I knew to be impossible. They'd invited me to the funeral but I'd not been able face it.

I continued to stare, continued to wonder. The waitress passed once, twice... The third time I ordered another - a double. It would give me more time to think. In the end it stayed untouched on the table as the truth suddenly hit me between the eyes. Julie Wilson... a common name. So common, I'd not once connected her with Ms. Linda Wilson who had been my secretary for the past three months. What had Julie said... her sister had helped her pick the tie out.

13 comments:

what a twist, the secretary was the old girlfriend's sister?! :o wow! beautiful!

26 May 2010 at 18:26  

Absolutely loved the twist in this.

26 May 2010 at 18:32  

Wow! That really surprised me. Enjoyed it immensely

26 May 2010 at 20:37  

What a wonderful turn of events! :) Great storytelling.

26 May 2010 at 22:17  

Oops... What a great twist!

26 May 2010 at 22:44  

What great twist! The best twists are the one's you sort of see coming, but are still surprised when they hit you.

27 May 2010 at 01:43  

Yeah, clever stuff!I had to read this a few times to make sure I got the relationships right. Nicely told!

27 May 2010 at 03:21  

Good read. I read the end first...I always do that. But in this case I had to go back and read the whole thing.

b

27 May 2010 at 07:29  

nicely done. i too had to reread it probably because i didn't quite see that twist coming. had to make sure i got it right.

27 May 2010 at 09:25  

I enjoyed reading your flash fiction. The twist at the end with the untouched second drink came together well for me.

-Tim

27 May 2010 at 17:16  

Great twist and wonderful flash fiction.

undefined paths

28 May 2010 at 03:48  

You brought everything together at the end wonderfully. Did not see it coming at all.

28 May 2010 at 15:06  

Very original predicament, and you kept me hooked. Thanks for the good read!

28 May 2010 at 20:07  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds